Just a few kilometres away from the watchmaking town of Glashütte, Herbrig & Co. GmbH today represents the best tradition of Saxon precision mechanics.
The Müglitztal economic area refers to a valley landscape along the Erzgebirge stream Müglitz, whose centre is the internationally known watchmaking town of Glashütte/Saxony. Müglitztal is located in the district of Sächsische Schweiz – Osterzgebirge and extends from the upper Erzgebirge (Geising) to the mouth of the Elbe (Heidenau).
Similar to regions such as the “chemical triangle” of Leuna-Wolfen-Bitterfeld or the concentration of furniture manufacturers in the Paderborn area, companies from the precision industry concentrate in Müglitztal. It is noticeable that the people of the regions are the deciding factor for the establishment of companies from similar industries. Significant capital in the region thus comes from the “precision knowledge” of skilled workers.
After the onset of mining around 1490 and the surface extraction of ores, Saxony and also Müglitztal gained relative prosperity. However, the region became impoverished due to the rapid depletion of ore deposits, the Thirty Years’ War and the Seven Years’ War, and the outbreak of the plague. The brief recovery through the reopening of hitherto unprofitable mines due to advances in mechanisation, propulsion and mining technology was short-lived. In 1843, the Royal Saxon state government decided to promote the settlement of industrial sectors in the impoverished region. Thus, the watchmaker Ferdinand Adolf Lange founded a watch company in 1845. Julius Assmann followed in 1850 and Moritz Grossmann in 1854 with the founding of their own watch manufactories.